Sunday, May 1, 2011

Leaving for Korea...



We had some computer issues while in Korea...and to be honest, jetlag has been kicking my butt since we left on April 15. I had such good intentions about blogging every night about what we had done that day...but by 7pm I was so wiped out, I couldn't keep my eyes open.

So...you are going to get a few back-dated posts. The main reason for this blog is for me to "journal" for my family since I stink at baby books, actual writing with a pen and paper, or anything else of the sort.

So come on...take a ride back in time...travel back with me, won't ya?

April 15, 2011

If you need a refresher on how that whole trip started, hop on over to The Longest Nightmare and take a peek. Just don't take me with ya...cause I just can't quite re-live it just yet.

That night we left Chicago was blustery to say the least. The Windy City was living up to it's name...and then some. We were really wondering if our flight was even going to go or if we would be spending the night at the deluxe, 5 star airport known as O'Hare. We were told that of all the flights, international ones are usually given priority over domestic flights so we just kept praying that it wouldn't get cancelled.


It's after midnight when I took this...but it sort of captures the weather and situation out there. Rain on the windows, dark, gloomy...kind of summed up the mood right about then too.

The flight was pretty uneventful overall. Some turbulence, but nothing worth writing home about. We both slept a good portion of the flight so that helped the time go by faster.

And this little baby...worth it's weight in gold, I tell ya.



I had bought a pig pillow here in the states. I'm sure I looked like a crazy american snoozing on the plain with my little pal...but I know now that I won't travel anywhere without my little companion.

Once we arrived in Seoul, the wave of relief was indescribable. Walking off the plane up into the airport brought a lot of emotion. We were there, we had arrived, we were so close to meeting our daughter. And being back in Korea again...a familiar feeling...and yet, there we were...on the other side of the world.


Fuzzy picture...but that's about how I felt. Fuzzy. It was 4:30am Korea time, dark, and my body was confused as to what it was supposed to be doing.

Whew...you can see the stress of the last 24 hours on my face, can't you?

I'll tell you one thing, the airport at that time of day is very quiet. Hardly a soul in the place. Jason and I went through immigration, picked up our bags, and grabbed something to drink.  Thank goodness for those carts...we had a lot of bags. We were a little worried how we were going to make in on the way back with a baby in tow.


We headed out to wait for the limo to take us to the Renaissance Hotel in the Gangnam area. It's just minutes away from SWS and we got a stellar deal on priceline. The only problem? It was now only 5:30am and check-in wasn't until 4pm. Hmmmm....


By the way, the term "limo" is used loosely here. It's not a black, shiny, stretch car by any means. "Limo" in Korea looks like a coach bus in the USA. We went to buy our tickets to find out that we had just missed the bus by about 60 seconds. Bummer. Oh well, we didn't have anything to waste but time anyway. I was just so glad to actually be in Korea, I would have waited all say for the silly bus.





No comments: