Saturday, January 26, 2008

More Yarn to Dye

I decided that I would try to dye some yarn again. It was so much fun the first time, that I thought I would give it another shot. Here are some pics. I'm not sure what I'm going to knit up yet...will have to see where the wind takes me.

Here's a little peak into the process (simplified of course):

First, I have to unravel the entire skein and wind it into a hank so I can place my colors where I want them. Once that is done, it gets soaked in a warm bath of soap in the sink. This makes it ready to accept the color.





Once it's done soaking, I can squeeze the water out and get it all set up for it's dye job.





I've used kool-aid and Wilton's cake frosting dye so far. Once they are all mixed up, I start spooning and squeezing the colors on.





After all the dye has been applied, it goes into a bowl and into the microwave. The heat is what coaxes the wool to suck in all the color. After it has cooled, it gets rinsed and then hung up to dry.




Last and most rewarding, it winding it back into a ball and admiring the colors that have come out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is cool...I love that blue and brown one at the bottem.