Sunday, April 15, 2012


Asian Airlines, Chicago O'Hare airport...high winds and rain



I have spent so much of my day sorting through memories.

Memories of what I was doing on this very day, one year ago.

Where I was, what I was doing, what state...or what country for that matter, I was in.

In case you need a refresher (since it might not be crystal clear like it is in my head,) feel free to relive that exciting day with me here . And if you think you remember, click on it anyway, you won't be sorry.

Are you back up to speed? Now do you know why I said to go back and check it out? I knew (and kept reminding myself while in the moment) that one day I would look back on that day and laugh. I must have told myself that 100 times that day.

It wasn't too funny when we found out our flight to Chicago had been cancelled...

It wasn't too funny when we realized that the only airline to cancel their flight and not just delay it was the airline we were booked on...

It wasn't too funny when we were told that all other passengers had been moved to other airlines and there just weren't any seats left now...

It wasn't too funny when I broke down in tears in front of the not one, but two ticket agents (and a host of people waiting in line, but we'll keep that just between us)...

It wasn't too funny when we were told that we may just be able to get on a different flight if we got to the other airport as fast as we could, after all, that flight was leaving very soon, we had "no time to waste"...

It wasn't too funny when we were told we couldn't purchase said tickets on Southwest over the phone and if we wanted those last tickets, we needed to pysically be at the ticket counter in person to buy them...

It wasn't too funny when I wanted to pull my hair out because the vehicle was on a different (and very ellusive) level...

It wasn't too funny when we waited 30 long excruciating minutes for our bags to show up at baggage claim in Chicago, all the while watching the minutes tick by until our international flight (at an entirely different airport, mind you) was getting closer and closer...

It wasn't too funny when the cab driver was reaching speeds of over 80 mph in a 55 mph zone, praying that we wouldn't be stopped by a cop wanting to write out a lengthy ticket...

It wasn't too funny when we waited with baited breath to find out whether our flight to Seoul would even be allowed to leave the tarmac considering so many flights had been cancelled due to high winds.

Nope, not too funny then.

But now...

Now's a different story.

I have read over our journey from one year ago today, falling off my chair at times, and laughing so hard that I am crying.

What obstacles we faced that day...but God brought us through it. He had a plan and I am so glad that it was bigger than anything I could have done. I truly believe that He wanted me to rely on Him and Him only. He showed me that I had to give it to Him...give it all to Him, and trust in His plan completely, whatever that was. I gave all my cares to the One who cares for me and He blessed that by giving us miracle after miracle.

When we touched down in Seoul that next day, the emotions were running high. We had made it. We were on Korean soil to pick up our daughter. We truly had arrived.

As I am reading through these posts from last year, I find my heart pounding out of my chest, my breath coming in short bursts, laughing at the twists and turns of this journey, and so thankful that my God is bigger than all of it.

Tonight we went out as a family and celebrated. Those pictures will be coming later this week. Cora is truly one of the best surprises I have ever received in my entire life. I'm so thankful that God has allowed me to be her mother. I would do anything for her, she's my daughter, and I love her from the deepest parts of my soul.







1 comment:

Tricia said...

What an incredible story to relive! A miracle indeed. Thanks for the reminder of miracles that happen every day, and in SO many DIFFERENT ways. love you!