Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Goose Egg



We went and had Christmas pictures taken over the weekend. A good friend of ours, Nick Johnson, was our photographer. He did an awesome job and really captured the kids well. I like portrait type pics...but I really enjoy the candid shots even more. Nick shot a few of the kids playing together and they are just priceless. Thanks, Nick for doing such a great job.


Back to the story. We have been trying to arrange a time to get these pics taken for most of the fall and now into winter. Between regular life, holidays, a photographer who has 2 kids, and having two children of your own...well, it's tough to find a date that works. We had been looking forward to this "photo shoot" for a while. We got home from church that morning and Jason, Ella, and Ben were playing in the living room while I was cleaning the kitchen from the night before (wow, it can be really hard to get a simple task like cleaning the kitchen up after supper that day, but that's an entirely different post). I heard a very loud "klunk" followed by a blood-curdling scream. I dropped everything and ran for the living room. Ella was being picked up off the floor by Daddy and her mouth was wide open. It was suddenly quiet so I knew that she was gearing up for a really loud scream in about 2 seconds. I grabbed her and brought her into the kidtchen. I didn't know what had happened, I didn't know where it hurt, but I knew something was defintely wrong. I pulled Ella back from me so I could look at her and ask her where it hurt, but before I even had time to get the words out, I saw the big "goose egg" rearing it's ugly head at me. I swear that thing had teeth. I started to ask Jason for a cool cloth and then changed my mind and asked for the "big dogs"...I needed an ice pack. She wasn't too keen on having a cold pack on her head, but she agreed once I told her that it would make it feel better. She did continue to cry for a good 20 minutes. I'm so glad that I was able to ice it, as the swelling really went down after that. After things had calmed down a bit, Jason looks at me and says "good timing with pictures in a few hours". Ugh. Luckily, Nick is good at what he does, so you can barely see it in the pics. Besides, if Photoshop can erase my freckles, then it can certainly take out any knot on a forehead.


What are the odds that these two events would happen on the same day? Well, if you are me...or have any of my DNA...then it's most likely pretty high.

No comments: